Poor granularity of built-in temp sensor

Support for the The Peripherals I2C Control – PiCO – Interface

Poor granularity of built-in temp sensor

Postby flyvert » Wed Oct 01, 2014 10:54 pm

Hi.

Would it be possible to increase the granularity of the UPiS's temperature sensor, e.g. to show tenths of degrees instead of just whole degrees?
The RPI's processor built-in sensor delivers tenths of degrees.

pi@RPI1 ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=44.9'C

pi@RPI1 ~$ upis -c
38 C

/f
flyvert

Re: Poor granularity of built-in temp sensor

Postby Pimaster » Thu Oct 02, 2014 12:33 am

flyvert wrote:Hi.

Would it be possible to increase the granularity of the UPiS's temperature sensor, e.g. to show tenths of degrees instead of just whole degrees?
The RPI's processor built-in sensor delivers tenths of degrees.

pi@RPI1 ~ $ vcgencmd measure_temp
temp=44.9'C

pi@RPI1 ~$ upis -c
38 C

/f

Hi,

It is possible, but the temperature sensor is an analog sensor, and the main reason we have is tho check the PCB/LiPO Battery temperature for security reasons. Therefore more granularity is not needed. I would say that 2 degs would be better for this purpose. It is kind of indication of the PCB/Battery and environment conditions, and not extended temperature measurements system. If you need more accuracy, you need to use 1-wire interface.
Warmest Regards
Pi Master
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Re: Poor granularity of built-in temp sensor

Postby flyvert » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:10 am

Pimaster wrote:It is possible, but the temperature sensor is an analog sensor, and the main reason we have is tho check the PCB/LiPO Battery temperature for security reasons. Therefore more granularity is not needed. I would say that 2 degs would be better for this purpose. It is kind of indication of the PCB/Battery and environment conditions, and not extended temperature measurements system. If you need more accuracy, you need to use 1-wire interface.
Warmest Regards
Pi Master

OK thanks, I'm logging a few parameters in my RPis, the temperature one of them but I'm having problem with the "vcgencmd measure_temp" becoming permanently blocked/zombie process after some days/weeks of logging and was looking for another source of temperature information.

And yes, I do have some 1-wire temperature sensors on shelf that I can connect and use instead.

Thanks.

/f
flyvert

Return to The Peripherals I2C Control Interface – PiCO