Something is not right here

Manual Updates
Firmware Updates and beta releases
New Features requested by Users

Something is not right here

Postby dakota127 » Sun Dec 07, 2014 6:07 pm

Hi

I have to agree with Pier: this repeated promising of a new release in „just a few days“ or „next weekend“ is no longer acceptable. I understand that rewriting the firmware can be a daunting task and I am perfectly willing to wait if the wait is communicated properly. I started looking for other products that have proper and not preliminary manuals. If the UPiS is 100% compliant with the manual - then why is the manual still premliminary. Something is not right here. It is a good product, no doubt, but customer relations and communications is not up to the product. Too bad. I friend of mine was looking for the „new“ firmware 1.096 but even this is buried in the forum and not easily available in the download section of the main website. To me this does not seem a very responsible product management.

Greetings, Peter
dakota127

Re: Something is not right here

Postby Pimaster » Sun Dec 07, 2014 8:18 pm

Hi

Dear Peter,
First of all, thank you for trusting us and buying of our product!

I have to agree with Pier: this repeated promising of a new release in „just a few days“ or „next weekend“ is no longer acceptable.

You need to understand that the firmware we are currently offering, is much more advanced that the original one, doing much more than the beginning one.

Doing that, we ware obligated to use practically most of hardware resources available on the micro controller we are using, so each add on, need very carefully checking or rewriting of the firmware. The handler of the PICo interface, should work at the "same time" with the all other interrupts, especially with the powering handler. Any delay in the handing is not excused by the RPi, and cause just hang up of the RPi. Therefore each update is very carefully tested, in various conditions, and then added next one. It takes time, and very often cause unexpected delay, so changes in the promised time schedule. It is just 8 bit controller, with only 16 MIPS power. Not so much if you compare with the ARM of the RPi.

I understand that rewriting the firmware can be a daunting task and I am perfectly willing to wait if the wait is communicated properly.

You will need to wait about 2 weeks, as the situation is now. Our company, due to fact that B+ comes in, needed to design new products that will follow the new HAT standard. It not means that the old one has been suspended, but need more time to start up the new one. So, some tasks was slightly delayed. We are small company.

I started looking for other products that have proper and not preliminary manuals. If the UPiS is 100% compliant with the manual - then why is the manual still premliminary.

Manual is preliminary, but all options are supported via forum, and it is standard way that new features are supported by forum, as it is difficult to release new, and new manual every time.

Your problem is how the manual is pronounced, or what the product is doing ? OK, we will remove the "preliminary" naming from the manual, and write that the product updates are supported by the forum, this is the problem, hope not.

Something is not right here. It is a good product, no doubt, but customer relations and communications is not up to the product.

If you are satisfied from our product (s) then please give us more time to release new one for the B+, and then update the old one. I'm receiving many emails about B+/A+ availability, every day. We spent so much time and prepared a very big production in order to keep prices as low as possible, to support customers. Check the new UPS PIco, and comment it. Check the prices

Too bad. I friend of mine was looking for the „new“ firmware 1.096 but even this is buried in the forum and not easily available in the download section of the main website.

There is a special tread for the new firmware, I believe quite easy to find what needed. Each customer request is supported by mail or by forum. So,

To me this does not seem a very responsible product management.

Please specify what part of the firmware is urgently needed to you in order to update it as the first priority.

Peter,
Hope, you accept my reply and will stay with us, as also will support the new UPS PIco in order to give us a more power to support you.

http://www.pimodulescart.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=5

Greetings, Peter

My Warmest Regards
Ioannis
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster