UPiS 1.096 remain in BAT after power is restored

Uninterruptible Power intelligent Supply Module

UPiS 1.096 remain in BAT after power is restored

Postby flyvert » Tue Feb 17, 2015 11:06 pm

Dear support,

I just experienced my first real unexpected power outage and the UPiS (Advanced) stepped in as expected.

However, when power was restored (after 10-15 minutes of chasing a new fuse) the UPiS power mode remained in BAT even though the normal USB power feed was restored???

I repeated a few @STATUS calls and could see the battery voltage drop slowly just as it still was lacking USB power.
The status call also reported a voltage on the EPR even though I do not have anything connected to EPR.

----------------------
http://www.pimodules.com
UPiS Advanced
Firmware Version:1.096 Beta Version
Hardware Release:VCO2
----------------------

UPiS Status

Powering Source:BAT

UPiS RTC Date:2015:02:17

UPiS RTC Time:21:03:28

Average Powering Values
----------------------

RPi Voltage:05.01 V

EPR Voltage:01.42 V

USB Voltage:04.99 V
BAT Voltage:03.64 V
UPiS Current:0810 mA
----------------------

Battery Charger OFF
Low Power Restart Time (LPRSTA) is 5 seconds

Raspberry Pi timed shutdown is inactive
Raspberry Pi timed start-up is inactive
File Safe Power Cut-Off Time is: 30 Seconds
File Safe Shut Down type is: RPi NOT Powered while sleep
File Safe Unconditional Shutdown when Power loose Timer is OFF, UPiS will work d
Real Time Clock Correction Factor value is: 0x00

Analog Sensor Temperature:42 C 0107 F

A few minutes later the situation remain (USB voltage is available but UPiS remain on its slowly decaying battery)

UPiS RTC Time:21:07:33

Average Powering Values
----------------------

RPi Voltage:05.01 V

EPR Voltage:01.42 V

USB Voltage:04.99 V
BAT Voltage:03.60 V
----------------------

About 10 minutes into the power outage I lost access to an external USB (SSD) disk that I have a MySQL database on. I guess some critical voltage became too low and the USB bus got reset.

[687334.620983] usb 1-1.3: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[687371.672049] usb 1-1.3: reset high-speed USB device number 4 using dwc_otg
[687384.432306] INFO: task jbd2/sda1-8:1327 blocked for more than 120 seconds.

Since the situation didn't seem to improve even with normal power back I decided to perform a regular reboot (shutdown -r now).

Once rebooted, the weird EPR voltage was gone and UPiS reported "on USB" as one would expect and everything was well with my external USB disk and MySQL database.

UPiS Status

Powering Source:USB

UPiS RTC Time:21:43:58

Average Powering Values
----------------------

RPi Voltage:04.87 V
EPR Voltage:00.00 V
USB Voltage:05.04 V
BAT Voltage:04.03 V
UPiS Current:0934 mA
----------------------

Battery Charger ON

Here are some data from my home automation (which I store in MySQL). Please note that the time axis will differ 1h from the @STATUS command (which report UTC time while my RPi is on UTC + 1h).

Fuse blows and is replaced but UPiS remains in BAT mode 60.PNG
UPiS voltages
Fuse blows and is replaced but UPiS remains in BAT mode 60.PNG (78.88 KiB) Viewed 1728 times

My belief in the UPiS have taken another hard hit :(

Why can't such a simple thing as a 10-15 minute power outage be handled by the UPiS?

Please forgive me but the UPiS firmware seem very flaky and there are absolutely no updates on the horizon (except for prompt replies that the bug will be taken care of and a new firmware version be released in a few days time. There are many such statements to find on this forum. The lack of fulfilling the intention is not making me feel any better, rather worse...).

If you can't explain this problem to be due to some installation error of mine, please confirm when a correction will be available for sure.

What are my options if the situation does not improve? I still have an USB powerbank I used before I got the UPiS.

Can I redeem my money?
Can you offer a VERY BIG discount on a new hardware (that works)?

/f
flyvert

Re: UPiS 1.096 remain in BAT after power is restored

Postby Pimaster » Fri Mar 13, 2015 10:49 pm

Hi,

Find here below my answer step by step

However, when power was restored (after 10-15 minutes of chasing a new fuse) the UPiS power mode remained in BAT even though the normal USB power feed was restored???

Very interesting, it is not bug in the firmware, as we sold couple of thousands of this device an it is the first time I received such report

I repeated a few @STATUS calls and could see the battery voltage drop slowly just as it still was lacking USB power.
The status call also reported a voltage on the EPR even though I do not have anything connected to EPR.

This is known issue, but not affects the system operation

A few minutes later the situation remain (USB voltage is available but UPiS remain on its slowly decaying battery)

I'm trying to repeat this effect here on my lab, but can not do it, system with refereed firmware is working well

About 10 minutes into the power outage I lost access to an external USB (SSD) disk that I have a MySQL database on. I guess some critical voltage became too low and the USB bus got reset.

What current are you drawing ? It seem that you are drawing so much current

Since the situation didn't seem to improve even with normal power back I decided to perform a regular reboot (shutdown -r now).

Once rebooted, the weird EPR voltage was gone and UPiS reported "on USB" as one would expect and everything was well with my external USB disk and MySQL database.

Yes, I believe that the reason is that you are drawing so much current

It is near to the maximum, total can be 1000 mA (but with battery charging (213 mA)

My belief in the UPiS have taken another hard hit :(

Why can't such a simple thing as a 10-15 minute power outage be handled by the UPiS?

You are drawing 1A, it is a very big current for this device, and near to absolute maximum of the step up converter.
It is not a matter of firmware, it is matter of hardware.
See the explanation

5V * 1A = 5W, to supply it, you need to draw much more current that possible, especially when battery is dropping down

The efficiency of the step up converter is about 75 -80 %, but with lower battery voltage is lower than 70% and it is about 60 -65%

So, if your battery voltage is lower i.e. 3.5V, the problem starts.

5W/3.5V=1.6A *1.65 (efficiency) = 2.64 A, so the PPTC switch will cut the battery, due to so high current

So, the answer is that you are drawing so much current for this system

You can not do everything with the UPiS, be cool, 1 A is a lot of current

Please forgive me but the UPiS firmware seem very flaky and there are absolutely no updates on the horizon (except for prompt replies that the bug will be taken care of and a new firmware version be released in a few days time. There are many such statements to find on this forum. The lack of fulfilling the intention is not making me feel any better, rather worse...).

We can not update the hardware, the step up converter is as it is, and can not be changed. Initially we propose much lower current, as it is written in the manual, in the technical specifications, however due to pressure of customers, we allowed to use higher current and change internal limits, but you are even above of them.

The new firmware 2.0 is nothing to do with current, it is cumulative update for the firmware functionality, an dis much more than described in the manual. This product official is sold with the "standard" firmware, all other firmware updates are much more that we promised (i.e. the PICo interface) was never specified in the official specifications.

You can not take a device that initially was designed to handle 500 mA (as written in the manual), that has been later on updated (due to users requests) to handle more current, load with high current device and as for firmware update handling your request. Not due to our support, but because it is not possible with this hardware, it is simple. You are drawing so much current, and lucky, due to very good protection you have not fire up your system

If you can't explain this problem to be due to some installation error of mine, please confirm when a correction will be available for sure.

What are my options if the situation does not improve? I still have an USB powerbank I used before I got the UPiS.

Hope above explanations and calculation are clear for you, As I remember there is another post on this forum where I explained such similar situation.

Can I redeem my money?
Can you offer a VERY BIG discount on a new hardware (that works)?

The UPiS is working well, and is still running product. We sold couple of thousands of this device, and received only few faulty units. I think that you need to use each electronic device according to their specifications, and not just load it with any possible hardware. If you have B+ or other HAT device, and you really have a need for a UPS for it, I can send you the PIco, but not because the UPiS is faulty. Just because we strongly believe that customer should be satisfied, in any case

Please send me your details to info@pimodules.com

BR PiM

PS. Sorry I have not seen you post before so answering later than should be
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster
Site Admin