What's this indication means?

Uninterruptible Power intelligent Supply Module

What's this indication means?

Postby Kyriacos » Wed Jan 14, 2015 2:24 pm

Hello,
I have the UPiS connected on a Powered USB Hub (I've tried directly to a home plug but still the same). Im getting this LED indications on the UPiS

http://youtu.be/1PzfEqM1uyE
It seems that it doesnt charge the battery. Whats the reason? Using my flask application (Python), I'm connected on the UPiS through serial and Im running serial commands to get reading about current consumption etc. But its seems it when I run my applicationn, I have no access through serial. If I disconnect the power cable, the battery though is keeping the system alive and my application runs normal(until battery runs empty I suppose).

As you can see on the video the charging LED tries to turn on but, immediately turns off.
Kyriacos

Re: What's this indication means?

Postby Kyriacos » Wed Jan 14, 2015 5:51 pm

here are my Serial readings:

Code: Select all
----------------------
www.pimodules.com
UPiS Advanced
Firmware Version:1.096 Beta Version
Hardware Release:VCO2
----------------------

UPiS Status

Powering Source:BAT

UPiS RTC Date:2015:01:14

UPiS RTC Time:14:22:27

Average Powering Values
----------------------

RPi Voltage:05.07 V
EPR Voltage:01.42 V
USB Voltage:05.36 V
BAT Voltage:03.70 V
UPiS Current:0572 mA
----------------------

Battery Charger OFF
Low Power Restart Time (LPRSTA) is 5 seconds

Raspberry Pi timed shutdown is inactive
Raspberry Pi timed start-up is inactive
File Safe Power Cut-Off Time is: 30 Seconds
File Safe Shut Down type is: RPi NOT Powered while sleep
File Safe Unconditional Shutdown when Power loose Timer is OFF, UPiS will work d
Real Time Clock Correction Factor value is: 0x00

Analog Sensor Temperature:26 C 78 F

Powering Source:USB

Kyriacos

Postby microlan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 4:09 am

I have seen the same thing when my battery is low, in testing....

I believe what is happening is that the battery charger plus the RPi (and any peripherals) are drawing too much current for the USB port (typically with many USB ports, max is 500ma). Because of that, the charger kicks on and it exceeds the limit, so it kicks off. At the same time, due to the limitations with the source (your USB hub or port), the voltage on the USB input drops too much (due to too high of a load) and the UPiS tries to protect you by switching to battery.

Based on that, you might try a better (more powerful) USB Hub or power supply. Maybe (I haven't tried yet), try powering it from the EPR port with a bigger power supply?
microlan

Postby Kyriacos » Thu Jan 15, 2015 1:53 pm

By getting a bigger battery (4000), will make any difference?
When I connect the Pi with the usb directly (no UPiS) my system works just fine. The issue is when the usb is connected through UPiS.
By suppling through EPR doesnt help at all because, whats gonna happen when there is a power failure at home? I need to have a working backup power solution. You know what I mean?
Kyriacos

Postby microlan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 6:32 pm

Larger battery, if anything, may make it worse.

I believe the issue here is that the amount of current drawn by the battery charger + the amount of current drawn by the RPi exceeds the available current on the USB port. A larger battery would just potentially increase the charging current, (or increase the time needed to recharge) making the problem worse.

The reason why I proposed EPR is because you can hook a larger power supply up to that port than USB normally allows. (for instance, a plug in 12v / 1amp wall transformer). That way, you could have higher current available on the input, thereby having less voltage drop under load, which should prevent the UPiS from trying to switch to battery due to being under-voltage. Doing this would still allow the device to be used as a UPS--just powering it from a different source than a USB charger.

What peripherals do you have on your RPi? I have a PITFT (AdaFruit) and a USB Wifi adapter. The combination gets the current draw of the system WITHOUT charging current to be about 450ma. Add charging, and it exceeds 700ma on occasion, which is too much for many USB ports and USB chargers. Hence the need for a larger external power source (EPR)
microlan

Postby Kyriacos » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:29 pm

Im trying to implement a final year project and the components I use are, piCamera, 3xLED, ProtectMyPi 2xMCP chips, Matrix Keypad, PIR Sensor, 16x2 Display, Adafruit Amplifier + 2x 3' Speakers and a USB PS3 Camera. I assume I am overdoing it right? :D
Kyriacos

Postby Pimaster » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:35 pm

Kyriako,

I will be able to answer in details like last time we spoken over skype, but not today - overloaded - on Friday or on Saturday late at the evening - just knock me on skype when you see my id.

My Warmest Regards
Ioannis
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby microlan » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:40 pm

Yeah, I'm not sure of the current draw on most of those, but it does sound like a bit much for just a standard 500ma USB port. One might be able to do some power management (ie, power off the camera if not actively taking a picture). That type of technique is very common on the RPi and there are quite a few internet resources discussing various methods.

You can also trim off a little bit of power by powering down the HDMI port if you don't need it, with /opt/vc/bin/tvservice -off
I believe that saves about 20ma. Not a lot, but every little bit helps.

If the LCD has a backlight, turning it off or dimming it (ie, via PWM) could help a lot, too.

But ultimately, using the EPR port (assuming you are using the UPiS model that has one) with a bigger power supply should do much better, although I haven't tried it myself (yet). For me (I'm an engineer), it would only take me reaching into my power supply drawer to grab something suitable, but, alas.... I've been too lazy so far! :)
microlan

Postby metaxas4 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:18 pm

i had the same problem, i updated the firmware still the same, after 2 days stopped without do anything.
metaxas4

Postby Kyriacos » Mon Jan 19, 2015 12:08 pm

Thanks to PiMaster for providing me instant and great support. We came down to the conclusion, to use an external power source(EPR) at 2A 12V instead of the usual USB. ;)
Kyriacos

Next

Return to UPiS