DO NOT UPDATE TO BRANCH=next KERNEL!!

Support for the UPS PIco HV3.0A, UPS PIco HV3.0 A Plus, UPS PIco HV3.0A Terminal Block products, sd also for updated hardware HV3.0B

Re: DO NOT UPDATE TO BRANCH=next KERNEL!!

Postby cresfang » Fri Feb 24, 2017 4:49 am

Siewert30SW wrote:For those who still want to run the branch=next kernel or beta 4.9 kernel.
Add dtparam=i2c1_baudrate=10000 to your /boot/config.txt
After reboot it should work, no guarantee but on my side it is working...

nice finding ;)
I'll test with mine....
any bug/glitch in UPS using this?
http://crescendo-fang.cf
cresfang

Postby anderml1955 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:33 pm

Thanks for info Siewert30SW.
One of the reasons I was using the branch=next kernel is the boot from USB without SD card function on the RPI3. This is the future so the conflict with the UPS needs to be fixed.
anderml1955

Postby PhilE » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:37 pm

I've been investigating this, with the help of some Pico UPS owners since I'm not one myself, and the only thing that seems to make any difference is the bus speed. I wondered if perhaps you were managing to restrict the bus speed on 4.4, but I couldn't find any evidence of this - no module parameter, no Device Tree property from an overlay (I see you don't have a programmed HAT EEPROM, which would make your claim to be HAT-compliant fals - see https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats#b-hat-requirements).

I've had a 'scope looking at the signals between a Pi and an I2C RTC (In the absence of a Pico UPS). The 4.4 and 4.9 kernels do generate different traces, which is down to a difference between the two drivers - i2c_bcm2708 and i2c_bcm2835. i2c_bcm2708, standard for 4.4, generates a STOP and a START between the write of an address and the read of the data at that address. i2c_bcm2835, as used on 4.9 by default, uses a RESTART instead. However, I'd be surprised if this is the cause of the problem.

Do you have any ideas why the UPS is so speed sensitive? Is a device unhappy with the use of an I2C RESTART?
PhilE

Postby Pimaster » Fri Feb 24, 2017 10:29 pm

Hi,

... (I see you don't have a programmed HAT EEPROM, which would make your claim to be HAT-compliant fals - see https://github.com/raspberrypi/hats#b-hat-requirements)....

according to the HAT design resources
Q: I want to ship a HAT but the software for creating the EEPROM and/or DT blob isn't ready yet.

In this case please ship your board with either a blank EEPROM or one with just the vendor info and GPIO map programmed. Use a 32kbit or larger EEPROM which should be ample for re-flashing later with an image containing a DT blob.

Do you have any ideas why the UPS is so speed sensitive? Is a device unhappy with the use of an I2C RESTART?
Until we will check it have no idea, why it is, will be able to test it in more details next week, after we finally release the ongoing firmware. DSO is not enough I think, we need to set the protocol analyzer and DSO to see what is going on, but will be able to do it next week
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
Designing with Mentor Graphics PADS - www.pads.com
Please read and follow the PiForum rules
http://www.forum.pimodules.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=196
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby Siewert30SW » Fri Feb 24, 2017 11:49 pm

cresfang wrote:
Siewert30SW wrote:For those who still want to run the branch=next kernel or beta 4.9 kernel.
Add dtparam=i2c1_baudrate=10000 to your /boot/config.txt
After reboot it should work, no guarantee but on my side it is working...

nice finding ;)
I'll test with mine....
any bug/glitch in UPS using this?

Not my finding but happy to pass it through, i'm just a spectator in this show ;-)
It was PhilE from raspberry.org who suggested it after i and ktb did some debugging with a PIco 1.0 and 3.0.
I'm happy they jumped into this as it wont be long before 4.9 is the standard.
Verry grateful they are looking into this as well as they aren't obligated.
Setup:
1x RPi3 - PIco hv3.0A Plus / Domoticz / RFXtrx433E
1x RPi3 - PiHole / logging gas,elec
3x FI9803P Cam
2x Youless Elec/Gas
4x KD101 detectors
a lot of KaKu/CoCo stuff

Domoticz scripts: @ GitHub
pico_installer: @ GitHub
pico_status: @ GitHub
Siewert30SW

Postby Pimaster » Sat Feb 25, 2017 1:47 am

Hi,
I have had a look to our system right now. Can confirm that after a short time it stops to be working the I2C on the new kernel. It must be a bug in our firmware, as is working very well with the older one. Yes, after reset of PIco it is working for a short time and then stops (the I2C). That forces me to believe that it is firmware bug. I will setup a work bench in next days to see what is the reason.
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby Pimaster » Sat Feb 25, 2017 2:09 am

HI,
Yes confirm, adding
Code: Select all
dtparam=i2c1_baudrate=10000

to the
Code: Select all
/boot/config.txt

solves the problem, thank you PhilE for mentioning that. However we need to see what is the reason that I2C on our side is so sensitive with the data rate.
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby Pimaster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 5:05 pm

Hi
Just to follow up.
Yes with added line it is working well.
However I done in the mean time more measures with protocol analyzer and DSO, and can confirm that mostly we know what happens, but do not know why it happens.
So, please until we provide fix use solution provided by PhilE as it is working well. I'm in close contact with him, and hopefully with his extremely kind support, soon will provide another solution.
Thank you very much people that mentioned this problem to us (especially Siewert30SW and cresfang)
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

Postby Siewert30SW » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:02 pm

Pimaster wrote:Hi
Just to follow up.
Yes with added line it is working well.
However I done in the mean time more measures with protocol analyzer and DSO, and can confirm that mostly we know what happens, but do not know why it happens.
So, please until we provide fix use solution provided by PhilE as it is working well. I'm in close contact with him, and hopefully with his extremely kind support, soon will provide another solution.
Thank you very much people that mentioned this problem to us (especially Siewert30SW and cresfang)

Thx Pimaster an PhilE for picking this up and happy that i, Ktb and cresfang could bring this up.
While you guys are working on a fix i suppose 0x30 will be released in the meantime?
Setup:
1x RPi3 - PIco hv3.0A Plus / Domoticz / RFXtrx433E
1x RPi3 - PiHole / logging gas,elec
3x FI9803P Cam
2x Youless Elec/Gas
4x KD101 detectors
a lot of KaKu/CoCo stuff

Domoticz scripts: @ GitHub
pico_installer: @ GitHub
pico_status: @ GitHub
Siewert30SW

Postby Pimaster » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:29 pm

suppose 0x30 will be released in the meantime?
definitely
Warmest Regards
PiM
---
---
Pimaster
Site Admin

PreviousNext

Return to UPS PIco HV3.0A and HV3.0B